This is Terry McKenna's Typepad Profile.
Join Typepad and start following Terry McKenna's activity
Join Now!
Already a member? Sign In
Terry McKenna
Kure Beach, NC
Helping organizations & individuals realize their potential
Interests: Beach, Travel, Working out, Reading, Personal Development, Pittsburgh Steelers
Recent Activity
Tomorrow gest sacrificed on the altar of the status quo. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted 4 hours ago at Terry's Blog
The pace of change demands an accelerated need for innovation and business agility, and for many, a significant redesigning of the workforce and workplace. * For advice you can quickly read and apply. go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted yesterday at Terry's Blog
When a company views "labor" as an item on the income statement - a cost - its focus will always be on minimizing the expense. When it views employees as a balance-sheet item - human capital, an asset - its goal will be to maximize the productive value of the... Continue reading
Posted 2 days ago at Terry's Blog
Here's an insightful exercise to do at your next staff meeting. Have everyone make two lists: the top five things that they would do again and the top five things they wouldn't do again. People find it easier to be candid if they balance the negative with the positive. For... Continue reading
Posted 3 days ago at Terry's Blog
A recent study found, in conference calls, people stop paying attention after an average of twenty-three minutes. Takeaway? Keep your conference calls under twenty minutes. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted 7 days ago at Terry's Blog
Measuring people's long-term trajectory based on the distance they have traveled is a stronger indicator of future accomplishments then merely looking at their recent accomplishments. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 11, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Most companies rely on the layer above to assess the layer below. This is a problem if you have B-level players trying to assess A-level talent: they may not recognize it, or if they do, they may resent it. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to:... Continue reading
Posted Oct 10, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Ease isn't the goal; excellence is. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 9, 2017 at Terry's Blog
When leaders change their behaviors, the behaviors of the people around them changes. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 8, 2017 at Terry's Blog
How can I help? This is the most welcome phrase in any leader's repertoire. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 5, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Does your organization get in the way of getting things done? * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 3, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Success starts with a clear definition of an A-player, which is a candidate who has at least a 90 percent chance of achieving a set of outcomes that only the top 10 percent of possible candidates could achieve. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 2, 2017 at Terry's Blog
A coach is a follow-up mechanism; someone who regularly checks in on how we're doing. People are more productive when they know their being watched. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Oct 1, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Motivational language has three components: 1) provides direction, 2) explains "why" the direction and job task is important, and, 3) contains empathetic language for the task, which includes praise, encouragement and thanks. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 27, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Motivational language has three components: 1) provides direction, 2) explains "why" the direction and job task is important, and, 3) contains empathetic language for the task, which includes praise, encouragement and thanks. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 27, 2017 at Terry's Blog
At some point in the future, the future being either a week or 3-years, your business model will become obsolete. It's not a matter of if, but when. You can't avoid it. You have no choice in the matter. The only choice you have is who breaks it: you or... Continue reading
Posted Sep 25, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Instead of rah-rah speeches, the best way to motivate your employees is to focus on information and strategy that helps them succeed. Make everyone understand that they have the power to control their day. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 24, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Incremental changes are no longer good enough. Don't just think how to improve your business - reimagine it. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 19, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Structure is imperative at a thriving organization, even more so at a struggling one. * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 18, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Groupthink has been blamed for everything from the space shuttle Challenger disaster to the Cuban missile crisis. If everyone follows everyone else, or keeps their information to themselves, the value of the group is lost. To prevent groupthink, give one person the job of constantly voicing an opposing perspective. This... Continue reading
Posted Sep 17, 2017 at Terry's Blog
Change: if you think adapting is tough duty, just see how difficult life becomes if you don't! * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 13, 2017 at Terry's Blog
"The whole secret to a successful life is to find out what is one's destiny to do and then do it." -Henry Ford * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 12, 2017 at Terry's Blog
My Blog includes over 1,300 posts cataloged into 13 different categories: Personal Development, Employee Performance, Strategy, etc. Use my Blog as a resource for things like: developing training programs, strategy formulation, customer service initiatives, etc. Before developing and implementing your next initiative, checkout my Blog first for information, statistics, and... Continue reading
Posted Sep 11, 2017 at Terry's Blog
I suggest you think deeply on this one: We live in the world our questions create! * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 7, 2017 at Terry's Blog
I suggest you think deeply on this one: We live in the world our questions create! * For advice you can quickly read and apply, go to: www.terrymckennabooks.com Continue reading
Posted Sep 7, 2017 at Terry's Blog