This is Matt Haughey's Typepad Profile.
Join Typepad and start following Matt Haughey's activity
Join Now!
Already a member? Sign In
Matt Haughey
Portland, OR
Recent Activity
Over on Kickstarter, I just backed a cool looking idea: a smart TV operating system that fits in a HDMI dongle. The Pocket TV looks like it can be added to any HDMI-equipped television and runs a full version of... Continue reading
Posted Jun 4, 2012 at PVRblog
It was an odd coincidence this morning to see two people with personal blogs I follow both talk about TV and the possible future ahead. Marco mentions how he and his wife no longer have cable or watch live TV... Continue reading
Posted Oct 24, 2011 at PVRblog
Image
Ed note: What follows is written by John Bergmayer of Public Knowledge, the non-profit group that "preserves the openness of the Internet and the public's access to knowledge, promotes creativity through balanced copyright, and upholds and protects the rights of... Continue reading
Posted Oct 24, 2011 at PVRblog
Image
For my last post at PVRblog, i wanted to do a quick recap of the previous ten years, talk about how my own media habits have changed and ask a few friends how PVR technology has impacted their lives as... Continue reading
Posted Dec 29, 2009 at PVRblog
18
$0.99
Toggle Commented Dec 12, 2009 on The site's for sale (SOLD!) at PVRblog
1 reply
Well, to clear a few things up stavros, you can transfer ebooks to the device via USB for free, but I prefer to use the wireless connection because I don't typically have the kindle attached to my computer. You could technically drop a ton of downloaded stuff onto the device without a charge. As for the single-use aspect of it, I see that as a positive in that it does the screen reading thing really well, better than any laptop for long periods of time (I suspect a bright backlight screen would tire my eyes out much sooner). I also don't get how reading on a laptop is comfortable. I actually can't imagine myself holding up a 3-5lb box with a giant keyboard in bed and thinking that was something I could do for hours. The kindle weighs just a few ounces and it's about a quarter inch thick -- it's a pretty amazing form factor.
Toggle Commented Apr 2, 2009 on It's a Kindle World Now at A Whole Lotta Nothing
1 reply
I also understand why it sometimes needs to be done I don't understand why it has to be an either/or proposition. You don't have to be "clean and squeaky" or "shady SEO". You can take the high road and still help a company get the best possible ranking. I'm ok with the mechanics of having a cleanly coded site with good descriptive titles in header tags because that's not just sheen for tricking googlebots, but it's helpful to readers. Then of course the main key thing every SEO person seems to miss is having good content above all. It's not about doing crazy stuff like smooshing keywords into sentences to sound robotic for search bots, but relaying useful information in an easy to read way. 5% of SEO is useful because it also happens to make websites easier to understand and follow (stuff like text instead of images, etc). The other 95% of it is bullshit, and even if you're representing a company with no ethics, you don't have to partake in all the crappy things people think helps out.
1 reply
You could start here, and work your way up to figure out how many W did. http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/news_conferences.php?year=2001&Submit=DISPLAY
Toggle Commented Dec 18, 2008 on I'm wondering... at offhand remarks
1 reply